26.4.10

Monday Mania with TGF


I'm totally honoured to be playing hostess this week for The Greeting Farm's Monday Mania challenge.

As my country stopped to honour our brave ANZACS yesterday, I decided to set the challenge based on the colour of the Army uniform, since its something I've been surrounded by since birth. My paternal grandfather, father and brother have all served in the Australian Army, with my brother currently still serving our great country.

I had created two cards for this challenge using other images, keeping with the colour scheme I had set but I wasn't entirely happy with them. I woke Friday morning knowing that the deadline for submission of my creation was close and had a card in mind. I spent the next 24hrs planning and strategising how to make it happen. I set to it Saturday afternoon and worked on the card base for hours!! The "forest" actually comprises about 5 different stamp sets using 8 different ink colours!! Stamping and blending the forest left the Kraft base really wet so I needed to let it dry a bit before I cut out the frame. I coloured Courage Ian during this time with Copics (of course) and then smudged him with choc chip ink for effect. I paper pieced his helmet with a camouflage print design I found via Google. I changed the colours with my Copics to better fit my colour scheme and then, after carefully cutting out the "forest window", I set about putting it all together. When finished, I applied Crystal Effects to the goggles to make them shiny. Not sure if I've managed to get this in the photo.

Fussed and played until 11pm Sat night then tried - oh tried so hard - to fall asleep as I was rising at 3am to head out to a Dawn Service with my brother and the rest of the family, then back to take my Mum to hospital for an appointment and then onto church afterwards!! I was totally whacked when I got home and needed a nanna nap. Awoke refreshed and "knew" just what I needed to finish of the card. I used a mini label that I altered with an ink (who's name I can't quite recall atm, will come back to add this) to create a "dogtag" label and handwrote the inscription. The ball chain is aactually what the pricetag was attached to a couple of hairclips I recently purchased. Just shows that you should never, ever throw away anything - it was a perfect addition.

Anyway, I hope you can join me and my dear TGF friends this week in the Monday Mania challenge.

I'm also entering this card into the current Cards for Men challenge - Monochrome

Thanks for stopping by.
Michey xxx

CARD DEETS:
Image: TGF Courage Ian; Hero Arts Dandelion Frame; Verve Abundant Blessings, Forever in our Hearts, Leaves; KaiserCraft Lilac Avenue
Ink: Memento: Tuxedo Black; SU: Choc Chip, Old Olive, Wild Wasabi, River Rock; Distress Ink: Frayed Burlap, Old Paper; Versacolor: Olive, Cement,
Paper/Cardstock: SU Kraft, PTI White
Others: SU Crystal Effects, Cuttlebug Labels, Mimco Chain (used for the dogtag detail), Spica Glitter Pen - Silver,
Copics: See picture for Copics used

17 comments:

Sammi said...

oooh... this is AWESOME Michey! What a lot of work - but It paid off as it looks amazing!! Well done!! :D Ok... I have not participated in Monday Mania for a while you just gave me the kick I need! LOL!
Sammi
xxx

Nannieflash said...

Wow this is an unusual card for one of our challenges, but its certainly a fabulous one. Thank you for joining us at Cards for Men, and good luck with the Challenge. With hugs Shirleyxxxxxx

issy said...

Wow, a Fabulous layout. A great card.

Thanks for playing along with CFM and good luck in the challenge.

issy

Amy said...

This is just an awesome card Michey! Your attention to detail is amazing, and I loved you were able to recycle part of a price tag! Thanks for such a great challenge! :)

Donnas Den said...

Love this card, Michy, and your description is very helpful. Good luck in the challenge over on Cards for Men.

Donna

A Consuming Passion said...

Ooh sorry meant to leave you a comment on your card too!!!
Awsome work - very detailed - Love it!!!

A Consuming Passion said...

Hi Michey! I was looking for your email address? Can't find it so will leave you messages here...... My Doily Stamp came from Gina K - Nina Brackett designs for her. The set was called Nana's Needlework.
I'm watching Claire Brennan's new release sets too they look very interesting! Oh and my PTI order too - I'll never be rich!!!!!

Jen Shults said...

Oh this is just fabulously creative! Gorgeous coloring and I love the depth of the scene you've created!

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Love your TGF image and card!!!! Thanks for hopping by my Blog and checking out my card:) I apperciate your comment:)

Watch for upcoming Burtonesque Doll challenges, or Follow my Blog for Dashboard updates!

Cheers

Jill said...

GENIUS! Absolutely genius! This is soooo cool!!!

Emily Leiphart said...

WOW, this is AMAZING!!! Love the compilation.

Edna Morrisedie said...

Just fabulous, so worth all the effort that went in to this, the finest foliage I have seen for some time... and your little army dude is coloured to perfection, his goggles look fab!

♥Rach♥ said...

FAB card idea and challenge! Love your card it's just perfect :0)

JK said...

Great card! I thought the foliage was dp until I read your blog. And having it all cut out in such a great 3D was an awesome effect.

Unknown said...

Wow Michey, this is indeed a labour of love and it shows! Fabulous card.
Thanks for playing along with us at Cards For Men. good luck! Viv xx

Cindy Haffner said...

Ohhh Ian is FABULOUS!!!

DonnaMundinger said...

Really fab card. Love the dimension. No wonder it made the top 3 at C4M! xxD